Why I Love Bluish


I'm getting lost in your curls
I'm drawing pictures on your skin
So soft it twirls
I like your looks when you get mean
I know I shouldn't say so but when you claw me like a cat
I'm beaming
I like the way you squeeze my hand
Pulling me into another dream
A lucid dream
I'm getting lost in your curls
I'm getting crushed out on the things that only I should see
And not for boys, they're just for me
Hurry to talk from far away
I can see you, you curl your fists and you pull your hair
When we're alone I wanna say
Let's just stay in
No one's here in our apartment, babe

Put on the dress that I like
It makes me so crazy though I can't say why
Keep on your stockings for a while
Some kind of magic in the way you're lying there

I'm getting lost in your curls
I'm getting rushed back on a whim
Our breaths get wind
Back to the time when we were green
I know we have changed but I still grin
Cause I can't wait to see you
Back to the time I touched your hair
When I was so scared to look that mean, I think it's weird
I'm getting lost in your curls
I'm getting crushed out on the things that only I should see
They're not for boys, they're just for me
Girl, we could talk far away
It's so hard for me only to get the urge to kiss you there
When we're alone I wanna say
Let's just stay in
No one's here in our apartment, babe

Put on the dress that I like
It makes me so crazy though I can't say why
Keep on your stockings for a while
Some kind of magic in the way you're lying there
Put on the dress that I like
It makes me so crazy though I can't say why
Keep on your stockings for a while
Some kind of magic in the way you're lying there

Blue eyeshadow, it's not exactly blue, no
And if you too call it anything but your blue


Bluish is my favourite love song ever. I know there's a lot of competition for that spot, so let me explain why. When I first started having sex, I was unsure of what to do and when to do it. Sure the basic mechanics were apparent but it all felt so unwieldy, like driving a car with a banana. Thankfully my partner was understanding and patient with me. When things started going well, I finally understood what Marvin Gaye, Prince and R. Kelly always knew: sex is a transformative experience.

Bluish is high class sex music. It knows that sex is not just a physical thing but something that transports you to a loving place. Sexual healing wasn't just a song, it is a real damn thing. Being close with another human being is just about the best thing you can find. "Put on the dress that I like, it makes me so crazy though I can't say why. Keep on your stockings for a while, there's some kind of magic in the way you're lying there." Let's get closer. Let's stay together.

Waking up in another bed. Watching your partner sleep. Seeing the sun rise. An inebriation that lasts all night and ends naturally, calmly. "They're not for boys, they're just for me." A morning routine. Secrets. Love that grows. Put on your socks and your dress. Alone with each other. Call in sick to work today. Let's stay here.

That chorus... It arrives just on time. The thrill of it all. "When we're alone I wanna say, let's just stay in, no-one's here in our apartment babe." It is as staggering as Don't Worry Baby or Sweet Thing. This is why we love. To reach that place you heard on a song, you'll do just about anything. Don't show off now. Just be honest and loving and to the point.

When it's over you want to again. And tomorrow and the next day. Spending time with one another becomes as important as anything. Holding hands. Lying in the park. You are no longer alone. You will never be alone again. You have this memory now. You are full of love.

Animal Collective are a band that owe a lot to the Beach Boys. In their earnestness, in their ear for an uncanny melody, in their adoration for the falsetto. This is their best work because it gets right to the centre of something that it takes people decades to realize: love the one you're with. Cherish their shape and their smell and the way they talk. If you can do that, you will find happiness. Don't be a sneer or a cynic. Embrace the beauty in life. Be who you want to be, and don't accept anything less.

I heard Bluish in a bad time of my life. I had thrown away a woman who loved me because I was too scared to be an adult. I would give anything to be back there again. I would do everything differently. Perhaps I needed it to grow up. I hope I get another chance some day to be an adoring friend and partner. I am ready for it now, I feel. This is music that makes you want to be that person inside of you. That unsullied and perfect human who has nothing but love in them. I'm still searching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Calvin and Hobbes

Why I Love Singin' In The Rain

SNOWCHILD: FROM QUEEN STREET TO QUEEN STREET ANTHEMS