Why I Love The Let's Get It On Cover


"I've been really tryin', baby
Tryin' to hold back this feeling for so long
And if you feel like I feel, baby
Then, c'mon, oh, c'mon
Let's get it on
Ah, baby, let's get it on
Let's love, baby
Let's get it on, sugar
Let's get it on
We're all sensitive people
With so much to give
Understand me, sugar
Since we've got to be here
Let's live
I love you
There's nothing wrong with me
Loving you, baby no no
And giving yourself to me can never be wrong
If the love is true
Don't you know how sweet and wonderful life can be
I'm asking you baby to get it on with me
I ain't gonna worry
I ain't gonna push, won't push you baby
So c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, baby
Stop beatin' 'round the bush
Let's get it on
Let's get it on
You know what I'm talkin' 'bout
C'mon, baby
Let your love come out
If you believe in love
Let's get it on
Let's get it on, baby
This minute, oh yeah
Let's get it on
Please, let's get it on."

Sex music has a bad name. And I don't know why. Sex is one of the holiest things a couple of people can do. Sex is the physical expression of love, even if it is fleeting. It is like having the best conversation of your life, trading your heartfelt feelings about the truth of life in an instant. The Let's Get It On cover is the greatest visual expression of this love. Look at the cover. He is in the middle of something explosive and pure. A lot of people get upset at modern R&B for being too sexual in nature, but here Marvin Gaye was already ahead of the pack. Let's Get It On is a supremely sexual album. It is, for want of a better word, about fucking, And HOLY fucking at that.

Album covers have been an important artistic expression for some years, originally perfected by the Jazz men and women of the 50s. Sexual healing is a spiritual thing. Look at this picture of Marvin Gaye and get healed. This is redemption through physical love. This is a holy meeting. This is the endpoint that everyone hopes for. This is elation. This is that feeling that lasts for the whole night. Forget intoxication, forget drunken heroics. This is something pure. This is something that expresses the lost human nature. I don't know what I'm doing (I don't), but seriously listen to me: Marvin is the call to arms of all the base humans. Do you think that sex is just a  disposable thing? Well, fuck you, fuck your mother and your father, fuck your aunt and your uncle and your ignorant grandparents!

Let's Get It On is a holy declaration. There is a woman who you love. You have a dream about how you can make her understand. Send her a letter, registered post, to say I LOVE YOU. You are the greatest woman I have ever met. You are the one. You are the one that will make my miserable existence worth it. I'm caught in it. I'm caught in the love. I don't know how to say it but please, please understand. I'm sorry for every low down, stupid thing I've done. I love you. I love how you express yourself. I love how much you care about people who aren't worthy. You say to them, "How was your day?" And the dullards can't express themselves. But I can for all who meet you and love you. You have raised my horrible, lowly life to something heavenly.

Let's Get It On is a call to arms. It is a call to all those lowly feelings that build up a person. Build me up, why not? I woke up today and I hoped that I could express why it is that I love you. That I could make some words appear to say "HELLO, I think you're the TOPS." Let's Get It On is a pure declaration. If I had the courage, I would say like Marvin, Let's Do It. Let's get together. I love you. You got to be starting something! Too high to get over! To low to get under! And the pain is thunder!

I met this woman in a pub and she was from the beginning gracious and beautiful. I miss her. I can't return to her because of my history. I asked her out for a date and she agreed! She agreed and it made me feel like I was a fully grown human being. And then she said, "No, I can't meet you." I don't know what it was that made her change her mind, but fuck me, it tore me up. I still believe that I am a good person, and I hope some day that we meet again and we get together.

Let's Get It On expresses purely and with no hang ups, that love that phases you, that transforms you into something better than what you were. If I was brave, I would say it directly to this woman. I would say, "Hey look at this picture by Marvin Gaye and please understand that my love is like this." Phased out, fucked up and pure." I miss you, when I don't see you. I miss your human nature. I miss you. I can't help if I wanted to, I wouldn't help it even if I could. I want to be better than I am for you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Calvin and Hobbes

Why I Love Singin' In The Rain

SNOWCHILD: FROM QUEEN STREET TO QUEEN STREET ANTHEMS